Friday, June 6, 2014

How Do You Connect With Other Steel Pan Players?

Maybe that's a loaded question. The answer may be for some - "Well, I play in a group. I know a few folks." For others, it may be more in line with - "It's just me these days. Don't know any others in the area."

I was recently watching a video from this year's Panorama in Trinidad that a fellow performer gave me. I was struck with and reminded of how much of players' lives revolved around pan. For many, it was part of their social life, their family, and their community. It is a badge on honor and certain level of respect you get when playing in a steel pan group.

It is different compared to the U.S. In parts of the east coast, you still have that connection because members of the community come from Trinidad and the Caribbean.  But what about those of us born and bred in the U.S.? Can we foster that same kind of connection to the instrument we love so much? Can our busy lives and schedules fit it in? I say why not.

It is actually funny now that I think about it. There were a lot of doubters about why we started the Steel Pan Collective. We still hear from them - not as much these days though. We still think players want to connect with other players. That is the whole focus of our organization. Learn. Connect. Perform. Be player-focused.

I realize that some are content to go it alone or happy in their present steel pan situation. You may not need or want to be a part of our community. That's fine. But for some us, we want a little more out of our experience. We want that connection. We want to be a part of the bigger pan family. And we will put in as much as we hope to get out of that experience. That's the same feeling I saw in that Panorama video. It is a willingness to work a little harder at creating and fostering a pan community.









No comments:

Post a Comment